Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Flight time break

This always a good time to blog.  Over water or over clouds both offer very little in the way of entertaining.  Flying to Brisbane from Hamilton Island GBR in the WhitSunday islands.  So named by Capt James Cook on discovery of the Islands during White Sunday which was the celebration of Pentacost.  Guess who on our outing was able to tell the passengers what Pentecost was.  Basically the story teller only let me include that it was the day that the Holy Spirit came to the Christian people and he cut me off shortening it to be a Religious Holiday, but good that he included it at all.    Anyway it was a good trip out to the GBR. I am satisfied that the coral is magnificent, but we got their beaches beat all over and our Island Vibe is better all over the place.  especially the Caribbean Vibe.  Australian Vibe is so absent that you Really notice a little music here or there, or a hammock or Beach umbrella. Don't get me wrong. Arley Beach was outstanding, but ya gotta understand I love the beach scene and can love anything with water, palms, seagulls, and sand, and this was all good, but the name Great Barrier Reef says a lot.  They are Barrier islands and protect each other and the mainland from rough seas, thus the amazing coral and other sea life, but not hardly any waves.  Only the wake from other vessels.  People of all ages are dressed in island gear or lack of clothing in general.  So that feels like the beach, the stores have t shirts and some souvenirs but not like us coastal towns, but lots of seafood shops.  Last night I was not hungry so went out just to find a little snack.  Was so tired I wasn't sure I could chew but afraid withou something I'd wake up at 2am starving. Anyway, I went across the street to a little take out ordered a seafood stick, a fish cake and a corn wrap
 It was a nice size delicious fish patty, delicious hot crab meat lightly batter on a stick and everal veggies  somehow stuck together in a Cory dog fashion and deep fried.  All surprisingly, good and fresh.  All that for about $4 but water is still $4 a bottle.  I did get one of my bottles refilled with fresh water from town while on the sail boat yesterday, and it was ghastly.  Guess that's why it cost so much.  Ya gotta have it.
So back to that sail boat.  When I goth here Tuesday night from Hamilton Island, my luggage was not on the Ferry.  After a thorough search it was determined that it was at the Island locked up for the night , or at the wrong harbor which they would find out and let me know before 8 pm that night.  The earliest it could reach me from HI was 7:30 tomorrow morn and most tours left at 8am. Might work, if not, I'd snorkel in my cloths and miss 2 BPPills.  Not happy bout it but life goes on an God provides.  They got me a cab to my Hostel and said they would call by 8 pm with yes or no, is it here or on the island.  As I'm checking I see the tour desk lady closing down.  I approached her and told her why I was late and asked if she could recommend something before she left.  She said everything was full , but let her check one more.  Yes they had something. She called them gave me the phone and left.  I took it, but wondered why it was the last one available, but knew God ad a plan and it would be perfect.  Of course it was.  I was thrilled, and was telling the young lady at the desk how happy I was and knew it would be a great day cause I wasn't having my best evening and starting telling her about my luggage and missing the tour lady.  She got all excited, asked my name, and as it turned out, whie I was checking in, the ferry was calling to tell me my luggage was found and she would personally bring it by 8:30.  To the hostel.  I wasn't in the system yet cause I was standing at the counter.  We all had a good laugh and sigh of relief,  one catastrophe avoided.  So I knew the Tall Sip was my trip of choice.  I got the senior discount and I think that was why it was available, cause it was a bit on the expensive side but with pick up and drop down as they call it, and a great lunch and morning coffee and afternoon tea, both with snakes, 2 amazing snorkel tours, with wetsuits and gear, I had a great day.  Wet suits are as important as snorkel and mask cause of a coup,e of venomous critters.  They are a poisonous red jelly fish about the size of your thumb nail, and another clear critter that will sting you and pain last for about 10 days.  The wet suit protects from both as well as from the sun.  I met some incredible people from, Germany, France, Australia and the good ole US of A.  Found out what it was on and in the water that made those funky, marsy, looking places in the water that puzzled e from the plane.  It reminded me on the water of the yellow powder we find on Texas in the spring from all the pollen.  Well this is off the trees and floats on and sifts into the water.  Doesn't  make the water cloudy but does impair your view.  Can't see things till your pretty close but then you can see them well.  It gets so thick at times that you can feel it as you float through it and it does ave a bit of a foul odor.  All natural pollution.  It is everywhere but worse in some places and just looks like a brown screen on the water.  Contains algae as well  so not hurting anything.  After com pairing stories with others, I think I had a great ship, and great trip.  But as far as things above water, we got it wrapped up.  That's why I am in a quandary about seeing other things in OZ.  is the outback just like west Texas   ON MY WALK OVER TO THE ferry this morning I met a couple of folks my age from OZ.  asked them what they would recommend for a foreigner.  They highly recommended Sydney Harbor and a ferry over to Manley island or Bay, then back to the harbor.  They are from Canberra, the nations Capital.  Who knew that.  Any way, after a visit as we parted ways after they gave a spill about their city and Koala,, kangaroos and platypus, she gave me her card and said call if I decide to come.  I said are you a tour guide? She said no but they would love to show me around the Bsh country and the capital.  He said he coul show me koals, kangaroos and everyone didn't see platapus, but he knew where to find them too.  I was once again overwhelmed at the beautiful people in Gods world


Across from my hotel
Flight back to Brisbane

Hoisting the sail.  I'm not in this one.  I was the self appointed photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment