Saturday, November 30, 2013

Catching up

Friday came and went and left no marks.  Some days do that but shouldn't.  Each day is precious, and should be lived to  its fullest.  These last few days have made that impact on me.  Just a few days ago a friend of a friend ...Katy, friend of Kelly, died after a long bout with cancer.  Young woman ful of hope and love, every day was precious cause she had so few.  Then yesterday, my s ls grandad, 101 years old, died of whatever relieves a 101 yo man , of life.  Each day was precious for him as well, although he had many days, they are numbered.  Both were well loved, and are far better off than any of us.  I think that it kinda why I let Friday come and go.  I was in a funk and didn't want to spend that day.  thanksgiving took a bit of a tool on me, then the day after Thanksgiving was the 5th anniversary of Daddy's death, so I think I kinda just wanted to get those days over with.  Well now they are over and I'm movin on.  Friday it rained until about 4pm and by then I was into bed and a movie.  Had already had a nap and lunch so just did nothing.  
Sat starts a new trip.  Left for Ubud which is inland and very ice.  Yes the markets are here but very few people bother you and when you say no they understand and leave you alone.  People are friendly but not pestering.  When I left the hotel I took a taksi to the bus station.  It's about a 1 hour drive I to the heart of Bali.  Hotel told me it would be about 30 min walk or $3 taksi.  With my bags I took the taksi.  After the meter hit $6 the driver asked me if I knew where the station was.  I did not so he made a couple of phone calls.  He could tell I was furious and I told him I was. Not paying for him to make phone calls and drive around lost.  Then he got out 2more times to ask for directions.  Finally when we arrived I got out He did. Not even get out of the car.  I went to his window and told him I was giving him $5 and 2 tips.  Don't leave a location. Until he knows where he is going and Never ask a woman alone. Where her husband is.  They have a tendency here to ask.  Are you alone and where is your husband.  In the first place it is one of their business, and I usually tell them that. And in most cases if your husband is not with you, you don't want to discuss it with a stranger.  Their main questions are, where you from Mom.  Where are you staying, how long are you staying, 1st time in Bali.  Who are you traveling with.  Where are they.  I consider most too personal to tell a stranger, but I hate being rude so I usually lie?  
On the bus to Ubud I met a Texan.  From Austin.  24 year old teacher of English that has been away for 18 months.  She is going home Dec 18th.  She has been in France and Thailand and now traveling a bit before going home.  We had a great time talking about, home, family, traveling, lessons learned, it was great for both of us.  Time flew and we were here before we were though getting acquainted.  We shared contact info and will keep in touch, I'm sure.  Such an amazing, sweet, sharing spirit, I wish her the best.  Gonna connect her to GlendaP for some non profit info.  
Took a taksi to my hotel.  It is down a long walkway as most hotels are here. Those shops get all the street  frontage, so homes, hotels, etc get signage and a long walkway.  Anyway it is lovely back here.  I'm on the third floor and fill like I am in a treehouse.  There are trees about 5-6 stories tall and very jungle like.  I'm just a block or 2 from the monkey Forrest, and you can certainly hear them from here.
There are so many roosters here that I put my earplugs in at 4:30 this morning.  Nice and cool up here, but I still had the windows closed, but it didn't help.  The earplugs did.  But I can't go back to sleep this morning.  I'm too excited.  I have booked a river rafting adventure for today.  They pick me up and we travel to the river, raft and have lunch and return.  I have never done anything like this before and really excited.  I have walked ist of the town and no room in my suitcase for shopping, so this sounded good.  
Tomorrow I leave Bali.  Hoping to go through Singapore for a day and night then on to Manilla and the Philippines.  I thought that would be the best way to finish off an amazing adventure.  I ave tried volunteering with the baptist global response group on line but I guess they are too busy responding TP accept volunteers, Marsha is checking to see if any of her connections could use a hand.  In most cases you have to be certified to volunteer.  No wonder it takes so long to get help to these victims.  I have prayed about it for several weeks, right Wei?  Wei is a friend from the seminary in Panang that we have ben praying for each other to hear God.  She is the first person i shared with that i was interested in going there to try to help.  And my SS class has been praying for me, and many of you have been praying for me, and  I believe I have heard from God and am going. I will be staying in Manilla till I find out what my options are.  I'm sure there is something I can do to help others, cause its time to pay back a little for all I've received.  I would love to get  there and find all their needs are et, but the news seems to think the recovery will take years.  Pray with me that God will lead me where he wants me to be and I will follow.



Downtown Ubud 

Today's planned adventure


No comments:

Post a Comment