Friday, November 22, 2013

After the storm

That was an amazing adventure.  It was cloudy all day and around sunset I could see showers around, and even after dark could see rain over on Bali, as I watched airplanes land since our electricity was out.  The airport was helpful in realizing just where I am.  But anyway the wind kept picking up so I finally went inside.  I closed the sliding doors, cause the wind was so loud I just felt a little less vulnerable.  Anyone could come up and never be heard, so I secured myself for the night.  The wind got so strong that it was blowing my curtains all over the room, then came the rain so I had to close them.  Still no electricity, I'm the nearest hut to the ocean, but the wind is coming from the sea, I'm really not afraid, but thoughts of cyclones, typhoon and sunamis, and all the other things I know nothing about, kept creating themselves, in the darkness of my mind.  Prayer and playing spider kept me sane until I finally got to hot and opened the windows.  Only then did I realize that the horrible sounds of torrents of pounding rain, was really just the surging waves pounding on the rocky shoreline outside my window.  The wind was blowing pretty hard, and the noise was real, but not at all threatening.  I rember when Jimmy and Michael were early teens, the used to quote part of a commercial that was about the United Negro College Fund and it was always on TV.  The commercial ended with "the mind is a terrible thing to waste".  They shortened it ti "the mind is a terrible thing!  That was my reality...my mind was a terrible thing last night.
I love love love my hut.  I took the speed boat ferry over to lo began island which is beautiful and the way most of us see Bali.  Then hopped in the back of a small pick up truck to ride across that island.  Several nice eating establishments, you could hardly call them restaurants.  Small accommodation establishments.  Some hawkers hawking their wares, but not in a bad way like in Katu.  All much more balinesian.    Took me to a footbridge to the Cencingan island and tried to tell me to take my now3 bags across the bridge.  I did not budge as I tried to tell him the agreement was my old door to my new door and he was taking me.  He was the first heartless Balinesian I had met, but not customer suave.  He went across and sure enough my hotel ad sent someone to fetch me across the bridge and bring me own in a pickup truck.  So he got my 2 big bags and I got my little bag and away we go.  Now ya gotta go back to the conditions of roads in Nepal to understand these. Roads.  Or better yet, think of the road to the Brazos 50 years ago, or the road to Calvin's fishing/ hunting lodge 20 years ago, then throug in some hills and lots of volcanic rock crumbles, and a few small patches of asphalt and you got this road.  At least he had me sit inside on the padded seat.  I think I actually yelled wheeeee a few times, like the grand kids do when honey takes a dip a little too fast.  Anyway we made it and I was seriously concerned about the quality of accommodations I would find at the end of this road.  Oh, I forgot to mention, the hotel/huts I had selected online sent Dannie, their person to pick me up also to tell me they overbooked and I would be staying at Jenny's.  from the rear, it was atrocious, if that is really a word, but you enter the side door of a Hugh marble room that fully opens onto the water.  The cottages make a semi circle to the sea, with a. Infinity pool and great chairs and a couple of tables at varying heights, all overlooking the sea.  Very small, very balinesian, just perfect.  I was taken to my hut by 2 delightful ladies, Wanam and il nua.  2nd and 3rd born.  They only have 4 names in Bali for children, and you are encouraged to have no more than 4. But if you do, you just use the same names over.  The name depicts 1'2'3' or 4th born.  Her is the set up for the hut.  Downstairs open air is an area bigger than a double car garage.  Along the front is the best hammock I've ever sat in.  Breeze really rocks you as you watch the waves roll in.  Amazing time in the hammock in the shade  of the hut and. Beautiful tree.  Then a wonder white wicker round coffee table with sectional seating for 8-12 people.  Then along the back wall a long counter with sink and small fridge for entertaining.  Behind that and detached from it is the bathroom.  Beautiful slate walls, sike I'd love to have at home and ok shower with world temp salt water and pail of fresh cold water to rinse off.  It's ok.  I've had cold showers before in ugly places.  At least there is a rel potty and a beautiful room.  The roof just sits above you and there is space between the room and the roof so it really is like taking a shower outdoors.  Super cool.
Now going upstairs to a view that takes your breath away from a nice large balcony.  When tide is in the water hits the rocks 10 feet from hut.  Tide out, about 100 yards of seaweed farming in front of you.  Must be a big farming area for seaweed.  I see about 20 people working this little area, maybe 5 acres, now.   Some are on dry land, some hip deep in sea, some arresting what was planted, some planting fresh for future harvest.  In the pic,notice the brown basically then the strips of green occasionally.  Then they attach it so way to ropes and hang to dry.  They work it while the tide is out and God works it while the tide is in.  Very interesting and right at my feet. They, clear the land, put up fences, plant, care for, harvest and the cycle continues
Going inside my room is a king sized bedmate 2 windows that open to the sea and one stationary, no screens.  The a sliding door and 2 more windows onto the balcony.  Locks merely keep doors shut but would not prevent someone from entering.  
So I will only be here one night, then s
Go tomy original hotel for 3 nights.  I can see it. From here, and the Internet described it just like this one.  This one has very week Internet, so hopefully the other one will be better.  Last night while the wind was really blowing, I actually picked up their signal a couple of times, but didn't have the password for it.  O really wanted to watch Cooper on a Stream this am, but still no signal.  I did reopen my windows and curtains in the night so enjoyed 6am today.  Surfers and seaweed ears were already busy.  The surf from 6 to 6 here.  And they catch some pretty good waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment