Friday, November 8, 2013

celebrating Graduation.


This week has been very busy for Marsha and Bill, and perfect for me.  They had lots to do for graduation which was Wed night then banquet Thursday nite.  I went with then to the banquet, but went shopping and early bed on Wed.
The past few days have been great.  Showers, swims, ferry to the mainland and back, a stroll out the Chem Clan Jetty which is a world heritage site.  The Jetty kinda reminded me of New England with rows of shops and homes that go out into the sea, on stilts.  These have been there for many years and are basically where you live if you belong to that family.  There are other families who live like this but they don't have the world heritage designation.    Great views of Penang from that and from the ferry.  I would love to live near an ocean.!
Last night was the banquet and I apologize for not getting pics of Marsha.  They really looked handsome and beautiful.  The dinner was an 8 course Chinese dinner for about a thousand people's honoring the grads.  Everything was wonderful, but I could never tell you what it was.  There was  wonderful baked herbed chicken, a whole fish baked, and awesome spicy prawns.  The other 999 people used chopsticks, but Marsha asked for me a fork and spoon.  Still not easy to peel a prawn and remove his head and tail with a fork and spoon.  They do not use knives here at the table.  You buy utensils by the each and just buy big soup spoons and forks as needed.  Anyway, I admit to getting my fingers dirty a couple of times at that dinner, and it was so sad to see them take some of those s prawns away, cause some people did not eat them.the food was served to the table like we call family style, bit you could tell by looking at my shells that I ate most of the prawns.
Then today we went to a great little Hawker place on the beach and had a wonderful lunch.  They have fed e way to good here.  After a great Chinese lunch, Bill fixed garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli, sliced tomatoes and pork chops.  The fruit and veggies here are really great I don't know where he found a pig but don't think I have had pork since my trip began.
The last pigs in Israel were the ones Jesus ran off the cliff with demons in them.  I take that back.  They say if terrorist really want to scare the Jews, they let a pick up load of them loose up in Golan heights along the border.  Sorry first pic is upside down of the beach where we had lunch
Pic of M & B at lunch
The Palau Penang Ferry. Very stable.  Don't know they have so any sink and people drawn.  I think it is lack of regulations which means overcrowding, no life jackets, weather at drivers discretion .
These are Chinese Buddaist temples.  No special day to worship so they just have whittle alters everywhere.  Theses are very simple but some very elaborate.  If you have a pain in your leg then you make an altar to the leg God and make donations till hedecidesits enough and you get better.  If you do the right things all goes well, but if you mess up, all goes bad.  Pretty risky.  I love Jesus.
Not a very good shot, but gives an idea of the jetty.  A walkway with homes and stores on each side.
A jetty row out into the sea
 M &B surprised while relaxing.  They are really great fun and great people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment