Monday, October 28, 2013

Coming to Mylasia

Got bumped up to another 3row seat.  Had time for a snack at KL.  ate a dunkin donut.  Never liked them cause they were cake and I like fluffy ones.  Well now they are the kind I like.  Or maybe I was real hungry.  Marsha is saving me some Lasagna.  Yum yum.  It really gonna fell good to see someone I already know and love. Gotta start planning my next leg, but will be here at least a week then back in dec if I'm nice this time.
Continuing 2 days later.  Arrived and it was even better than I thought to be with family.  Althought I have probably not seen them for 5 hours total in the last 20 years, I know them and her family and their kids and have for years.  Family just can't be beat.  They have been in Asia for 28 years and on those few trips home have lots of folks to visit.  I will really treasure this time we have together.  I have spent very little time with Bill her husband, but he is not near as solemn as I thought he was.  I really like him and he is very warm and kind.  Looking forward to seeing more of him.  Sounds like well be in the car a long time on Sundau.  By the end of the day we may know more than needed.  They are both on the quite side so I am trying to be on my best behavior, ; ).  Last night Bill prepared a delis dinner.  Baked eggplant with ragu and cheese, baked pumpkin!!! Really good.  Sliced like can't elope then baked then butter and eat.  I'll try that at home .  Then fresh steamed asparagus.  All good and healthy.  Tonight we went out for Indian.  Don't ask what it was but it was good.  Basically flour tortillas and barbq chicken an baked chicken and a potato and cauliflower dish and bitter gourd that tasted like fried squash in corn meal .  All good!
Tomorrow night we go to a dinner at the seminary, local food and next Thursday ack to Seminary for 6 course Chinese dinner.  I got a lot of walking to do to keep that from sticking to me.
Being here is like being in US.  Many of the same stores and restaurants.  People wear regular clothes.  Plenty of water, hot for showers.  Have to heat to do dishes, but that's just another good reason to eat out.toilets flush as often as you like and TP as needed.  Right here on the Ocean means water in good supply and can even drink to of the facute.  I am getting spoiled, but I am on the a side of my trip.
I am over alf way around the world, and started with 16 weeks and now only 7 to go.  Where has the time gone.  It really seems to have flown by.
I really feel like I'm on vacation now.  Today I slept past 8 got up, had my coffee on the balcony, read and checked messages, then off to explore and find a bus. Got a weekly pass and saw the NE quadrant of Penang Island.  You do see India, china and Mylasia influence all here.  Muslim, Hindu, and 
Christian influence.  The buses are very clean and everyone smells pretty good?  I found a Pizza Hut today so I will be taking that stop soon. 
I went to the tropical spice Arden today.  Really beautiful. Has a jungle area with tropical plants.  I'll have some pics.  I am really interested in learning to cook with these things for medicinal effects.  Everything from acne, to flatulance and all points in between.  Between herbs and spices, hey I knew God provided all the healing we could need.
Then I went across the road for a beach break.  Nice gentle waves, beautiful white sand.  It was large gains of sand but not rocks, but larger than we have in Texas. It was just right.  No seagulls or seashells.  I just waded a bit and sat and enjoyed the sound while waiting for my bus.
I had a great lunch.  Seafood and fried rice.  Really good.  Had some strange veggies on the side as a salad so I cut then and mixed them in the rice and all went very well.  Shrimp was very good as was the squid.  First time on the squid, but lied it.  Still couldn't do the oyster.  Mike always ate th oysters I got, so sure missed him at lunch.  It was a lovely restaurant in the spice garden on a high pace overlooking the sea.  It is called Tree Monkey, but I didn't see any.
Seem to have lost 2 things recently, my razor and my Sandles.  Had the in Kathmandu, but ant find them here.  I'm pretty happy that those are the only things I've lst.  I don't mind buying another razor, but h last thing I need is more shoes.  Oh well, Marsha says the shoes here don't last good, so I guess they want really count.  I'll get something I don't really like so it will be ok to toss them.
I booked my flight to Gold Coast Australia for Nov 10th leaving here at 7:10 and getting there at 20:20 another long day but worth it.  Probably stay just long enough to hit the Great Barrier Reef snorkling then off to Bali for a couple weeks.  I can't believe it is so close to over.  Australia, Bali, Thailand, and back to Mylasia and HOME.
The pool here.  You may be able to see that the apt building is on a nice steep hill.  The bus comes to the bottom of the hill.  I'll get in shape on one of these hills.  I really can tell I can make the stairs better and hills too as long as it is. Not hotter than 90 degrees.  Did I mention my bedroom is AC.  And she has a walker and dryer.  Hooray!
A waterfall at spice garden

Me on the beach
A fabulous tropical plant

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I am catching up tonight! it all sounds great, and you are doing a lot of really DEEP thinking. Love you!

    ReplyDelete