Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Singapore to Manill

Landing in Singapore was as I would have suspected but more.  Wi
Hits marble floors, huge beautiful vases of pale colored Flores, and that was just at the end of the ramp.  Everything seemed quite and still and calm.  It stayed that way all day all over town.  Very little chatter anywhere even at the mall.  Christmas music playing everywhere over the intercom systems, and you could hear it cause there were not competing noises.  Almost surreal.  I had been told that it was the cleanest. Town on earth, so that did not surprise e.  it had just stopped raining when I arrived so the clean was very evident.  As I usually do, I took a local bus to get a feel for the town.  I had gotten money as usual at the ATM and even bought something so I would have change, but it was still too big of a bill for the bus, so before he thru me off the bus I asked loudly if anyone could give me change and someone did so off we went.  It was kinda funny when I asked, no one said anything but I saw several open their purses and wallets but someone nearby ad it.  Just no talking seems to be the custom there.  Even the traffic was orderly and not honking like usual on buses.  I have learned when I get on a bus to anywhere I have to tell them where I want to go so they can charge me accordingly.  So I say to the end of the line, finish and that works everywhere.  In Israel it was the same price no matter, and in maylasia I had a weekly pass, but everyone else charges by the trip.  Most of this trip was just through apts, and residential areas which means apts and local businesses.  I was really surprised to see towering apt buildings with laundry on. The balcony.  That ruined the image I had of the cleanest city I earth.  At. The end of the line I changed to the metro train.  Took it to. Barbour center.  I don't care for the underground trains.  You see nothing.  Harbor center was very nice but a shopping center in. The Barbour.  A dollar is a dollar and prices and fashions were about the same as ours.  There was a sky ride and a monorail.  I checked them out but did not ride it'll. $26 to ride I over some buildings, naw.  I did have a nice lunch there.  There was a second mall also that was very expensive.  Even had a sign as you enter that it was all very expensive.  Views were OK but $28 for a pizza, I decided to go back to the poor mall.  Found the bus to head ack about 5pm and plenty of organized traffic, and many sky rise businesses.  As we traveled very slowly, I could not hardly grip the size of Singapore.  It s an island, apparently with. A ar our that cuts deeply into it.  The freeways, much like Houston, twist and turn so much that one time you see things on the right then there it is on the leftmost then in front of you, the on the right again.  We drove a long time, but could still see the harbor.  Anyway, all in all...boring.  Got back to the airport just after dark, reclaimed. My bags I had left in left baggage.  I never heard of left baggage.  But it is for carry ons or bags while you wait for a flight.
Great idea for long layovers and this was going to. Be a long layover.  I arrived about 1:30 and would not leave until about 6am next morning.  I thought I could. Make that work, then I would see Singapore, and yet not waste a lot of time there.  Had heard that 1 day was plenty.  Well as it turned out, there was an area on 3rd floor that had seating without. Arms, and gate snot in use, so you could stretch out. And maybe sleep.  There were several others with the same idea.  I nested in there about. Midnight after running my batteries down and not finding electrical outlets anywhere.  I was very tired after my day of wafting and did not get much sleep the night before because I had of be enable to get my flight booked and lost of things were tentative.  I finally had to get CJ to book my ticket because of that Verify by Visa thing again.  So at about 3am I found out I had to get a taksi and leave by 8am to catch my flight in Bali.  So back to Singapore, I'm very tired and payed down with my alarm on hoping the battery would make it till 4:30 when I needed it.  I got up to potty ever hour so figured I'd wake up anyway.. At 3:51 I payed ack down and woke up again at 5:34.  Still 46 minutes to flight time I gathered me and my stuff up and headed to check in.  Long story shortened, counter closed , $145 to rebook on 4pm flight.  Another10 hours in that AP I had already been I for way too long.  I lost it.  I started crying, explained I had been there since yesterday and fell asleep upstairs and could sit there another 10 hours, couldn't she do something, she left, I continued to cry, she came back patting my hand and saying, I fixed it, but you must hurry.  After 20 questions, I hurried off to immigration, passport control to my gate to my seat, to sleep to Manila.  Horrible experience.  The worst part was that I had spent so much time an prayer hearing from God about traveling here in the first part.  When she said $145 and 10 more hours, I was very confused.  Was God sawing No don't go, or was satin trying one more time to interfere.  When she patted my and and said I fixed it, I knew it was God.  I just gave it to him and said whatever you do is fine.  If I get on I go, if not I stay, and all went well.  It was one of the most turbulent flights I have ever ad, and I thought, is this the end.  Well it's ok cause God got me on this flight.  And went back to sleep.  I don't know when I've been so tired.  Its now 24 hours after and I'm still resting.  
But I love it here in Manila.  The world s very colorful, people lively, much music.  There is evidence of Christianity everywhere.  Sights on buses, churches everywhere, scripture everywhere.  Talk of prayer even on the news.  Gotta love it.  The AP is about a $30 taksi ride from town or about 20cents by bus, so I took the bus.  They are not numbered I don't know how you know which one to take, but a security person foundme one.  There s a driver, a young an who gets off the bus at each stop to see if anyone s. going or way and then a young man who who comes around and collects your money.  I tried to give him what I got out of the ATM, but he could not make change.  The 3 of them were talking it over as we drove down the road.  The lady next to me spoke up and all was ok.  Don't know what happened for sure, but she was going my way, and it was ok.  She was not very talkative, very nice.  After a little we got off and got on a jerryjeep, for the rest of the trip.  She took me to my door, all the way me trying to get er to ake some money but she would not.  I think she may have been a guardian angel.  No really.  She was extraordinary.   But back to the bus and the jeep.  The bus was like riding in a hippy bus, stuff hangin everywhere.  Stickers all over inside and out.  Music blaring.  Painted with all kinds of pis in all colors.  Just had to smile to ride in it.  Then I started looking around.  Huts and shacks everywhere.  Thought I was already in the devastated area.  Then the happy colors everywhere, made it all ok.  Saw these cutest vehicles, called Jerryjeeps.  They are all painted up, no doors or windows, and are jeeps that US military left after WW2 and they are still working hard.  I was jealous and wanted to ride in one of those.  Well, when she got us off. The first bus, that's what we did.  Again she paid for both f s, would not take my money,I sat in the front with the driver and a cute little dressed up Filipino girl, and about 12-20people crowded onto 2 benches in the back.  Not tall enough to sit up straight.  As they get in from the rear, they pass their coin up for the ride. Constant in and ot.  Don't know how he keeps up with who paid.i did not fit in the front with my 2 carry ons, so my right leg hung outside, on the running board.  Too much funny.  I don't know what ours looked like, but I admired those I met.  They seemed to be named instead of numbered.  There was El Shaddai,  God is Love,  house of God,  many referencing God.  Then their were pictures all over them. See pics.
Anyway, I knew I liked the Philippines immediately.  Got to my hotel just in time for a delicious $2.85 or 99 peso lunch.  Very good.  Rice, chicken and beef with a wired veggie.  I think it may have been in the cucumber family.  Ridged with dark skin but kinda bitter.  Anyway, good, clean and cheap.  Delicious lemon tea with ice was extra.  There is a 7-11 across the street so I can keep up with hot dogs for dinner.  Then mc Donald's on the corner if I need some fries.  I can run across to 7-11 anytime cause there are 2 guards at the hotel and 2 ladies at the door that watch for me.  Lots f people working and a sign. Here says we discourage tipping.  I am so apply to see many women working in the Philippines.  Doing real jobs.  The lady from the bus is an equipment agent,  dressed nice.  Almost everyone working in the hotel is female.  My cousin has found me a contact here that can hopefully find me avenues of service.  I was just so tired I felt like I ad to take care of me befor I could help anyone.  I am felling a bit better.  Yesterday I could not help myself.  I slept all afternoon, got up went to 7-11 and back to sleep.  Woke up at 7:30am.  Walked a little then breakfast and back to the room.  No sleep, but catch up.  Booked my flight out of here on Fri the 13th at 6:45. Hoping to get to KL in time to see it and make it back to Marshs same day.  If not will stay over and. Go the exit day. I need to do all my sightseeing before I get back to Marsha's cause from there on ill. Be luggage bound.  From all I hear about the typhoon area, it is unbelievable still.  The devastation seems pretty widespread, and I not surprised.  They are paying locals to help with cleanup, so I think they will let anyone help. I will be checking out some possibilities this afternoon.  Really praying I follow God.  It would e easy to try to get ahead of Him and miss his will.  
Along the street, their hose ,she's doing laundry
My best selfie from outside the jeep 
Another JJ along the way
The front window of the bus, the boy on the right keeps the door open and gathers riders
Inside the bus

No comments:

Post a Comment